Planned giving is a great way to support the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution’s (WHOI’s) innovative ocean research and education programs while gaining financial and tax benefits for you and your family. It’s also a great way to create a lasting legacy. Plus, planned giving donors are automatically inducted into the Paul M. Fye Society, the recognition society for those who have created a planned gift to help secure WHOI’s future.
Retirement Plan Gifts
Certain gifts won’t cost you anything during your lifetime, but will have a profound effect on WHOI and ocean science for years to come:
- A bequest is a provision made in your will.
- Retirement plan gifts spare your heirs paying income tax.
- A gift of life insurance may be made during your lifetime or after your death.
Life Income Gifts
There are several plans that will pay you an income for life in exchange for an upfront gift.
- A charitable gift annuity will pay you a fixed amount for life and will generate an immediate tax deduction.
- A charitable remainder unitrust can be customized to fit your specifications, including percentage payout, timing of payments, and beneficiaries.
Real Estate Gifts
You transfer your home or vacation home to WHOI and retain the right to use it for the rest of your life with a gift of retained life estate.
Passing Assets to Your Heirs
A charitable lead trust makes gifts to WHOI for a period of years. At the termination of the trust, assets may be given to your children or grandchildren with little or no gift tax or estate tax.
For more information about planned giving and the Paul M. Fye Society, please contact Jim Flynn, Director of Major Gifts and Planned Giving at (508) 289-2018, or at email@example.com.